Get our skip App Get our skip App


  • Essential Information

    Do I need a permit?

    If you're planning to place the skip on your own private land, you won't need a permit. If you intend to have it situated on a road or on other public land, you'll probably need a permit. In many cases, we can apply for the permit on your behalf, although some local authorities require that you contact them yourself to arrange one. Contact us for free advice to find out more.

    What can't I put in my skip?

    Most general items can be put in your skip but there are some restrictions and it's important to consider this before you decide to book. If you intend to put heavy materials such as soil, clay, hardcore etc. in it, then our maximum allowable size for this is the 8 yard skip. There are also materials that are classed as hazardous or unsuitable and cannot be placed in it. These are:

    • Asbestos
    • Car tyres
    • Old style televisions
    • Fridges & freezers
    • All liquids
    • Fluorescent tubes & light bulbs
    • Gas bottles
    • Tree trunks
    • Clinical waste/ medical items

    If there are any other materials that you're not sure about, please contact us to find out,as we can't collect your skip if contains any of the above items.

    What size skip do I need?

    Take time to consider this as there are height and weight restrictions you need to take into account. There is a "fill line" on the side of the skip to indicate the level of waste we can accept. By law, we can't collect a skip that has been overfilled so it's important to choose the correct size. It will end up costing you more if you need to hire a second skip so we recommend taking a look at our sizes and prices page to help you decide.

    How long can I keep the skip for?

    Generally speaking, we provide you with a skip for up to 2 weeks. When you want your skip removed please contact us to arrange collection. If you think that you'll need it for longer, please get in touch to discuss this with our team.

  • Permit details

    Please read this brief guide to permits and how it affects you.

    Applying for a permit

    You won't need a permit if you intend on putting your skip on your own private land, such as a driveway or your front garden. If you intend to put the skip on a verge or on a public road, you'll need a permit. Some Local Authorities will accept an application by us on your behalf whilst others require that you contact them directly. This is usually done by filling out a form or writing a letter to them. The cost of the permit will vary depending on which Authority applies to your area. You'll also need to let them know that start and finish date of the skip hire process. In certain circumstances, it may be necessary to pay a deposit if the skip is be going to placed on a verge. It is not permitted to place a skip on a footpath.

    For more information, you can find your local authority here.

    Skip safety

    If the skip is going to be placed on a public highway, you'll need to consider how you intend to make it visible to the general public, particularly at night. You can use cones, other reflective markings and battery powered lamps; our contact details will also need to be on the skip. If the skip is not sufficiently visible, you can incur a fine of up to £1000.

    First steps

    It's always best to apply for your permit as far in advance as possible. We suggest getting in touch with us first to see whether we can arrange the permit on your behalf or whether you'll need to do it yourself.

  • Where does my rubbish go?

    As we are registered with the Environment Agency, we are under an obligation to dispose of your waste material in the most ecological and environmentally friendly way.

    Aside from the environmental benefits, it's more cost effective for us to deal with the recycling process ourselves in order to minimise the amount of waste sent to landfill. There are certain types of waste that can only be sent to landfill but we currently recycle over 90% of the waste we receive, and this percentage is steadily rising each year.

Cookies / Privacy | Disclaimer/Damage Waiver | Expert Services Group Ltd. Registered office: Wilson House 48 Brooklyn Road Seaford East Sussex, England BN25 2DX - Company No. 06713008 - VAT No. 972682678 | Licenced as a Waste Carrier by the Environment Agency: Registration no. CBDU271130 | SEO & Marketing