Fairy Liquid bottles to be made from ocean plastic

Proctor and Gamble, the makers of Fairy Liquid, have announced that they will be making a limited edition bottle in 2018 that is made from 100% recycled plastic. 90% will come from plastic destined for landfill and the remaining 10% will come from plastic that has been floating around in our oceans.

An oft-quoted prediction on the internet suggests that by 2050, the amount of plastic in the ocean will weigh more than the number of fish - A scary statistic if it comes true.

P&G (Proctor and Gamble) say that they will be making 320,000 of their new 'Fairy Ocean Plastic Bottles' in order to raise awareness of plastic pollution in our seas. They state that they already use around 8,000 tonnes of plastic diverted from landfill in their range of dish care products and that the new bottle is intended to inspire consumers to participate in beach clean-ups and to be mindful about recycling household waste. It's also hoped that the initiative can also be extended to other products in the future.

According to Virginie Helias, Vice President of Global Sustainability at P&G:

“As the world’s no. 1 dishwashing liquid globally and a much-loved brand in the UK, we want to use Fairy to raise awareness about the plight of our ocean and raise awareness about the importance of recycling. Our consumers care deeply about this issue and by using ocean plastic we hope to show that the opportunities are endless when we rethink our approach to waste.’’

 

It's not just big brands that are gravitating towards plastic recycling; you can now get plastic bricks for the construction industry and in India, some of their roads are actually made using plastic. There are also more and more alternatives on the market such as edible beer can rings and carrier bags.

Aside from the PR value of P&G's recent press release, we hope that initiatives like this continue to thrive as the world's plastic pollution problem increases.

P&Gs official press release.

 

Cookies / Privacy | Disclaimer/Damage Waiver | Expert Services Group Ltd. Registered office: Wilson House 48 Brooklyn Road Seaford East Sussex, England BN25 2DX - Company No. 06713008 - VAT No. 972682678 | Licenced as a Waste Carrier by the Environment Agency: Registration no. CBDU271130 | SEO & Marketing